funsec mailing list archives

FWD: MARKEY: 'NET NEUTRALITY IS AS BASIC TO THE FUNCTION OF THE INTERN

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 02:32:14 GMT

Legitimate e-mail, disappointing results.

FYI.

[snip]

The House just voted on the Markey amendment to preserve net
neutrality, it was defeated by a vote of 152-269.  Below is
Markey's statement, but please let me know if you have any
further questions...

Thanks, Izzy.

[snip]

News from Ed Markey
United States Congress          Massachusetts Seventh District
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                            CONTACT:        Israel Klein
June 8, 2006                                                                                                        or
Colin Crowell
     (202) 225-2836

MARKEY: 'NET NEUTRALITY IS AS BASIC TO THE FUNCTION OF THE INTERNET AS NON-DISCRIMINATION IS TO THE U.S CONSTITUTION'

Defeat of Amendment on House Floor Will Not Be End of Efforts to Keep the Internet Open to Consumers and Innovators

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, U.S. Rep. Ed Markey, the ranking Democrat on the House Telecommunications and Internet
Subcommittee, made the following statement regarding the defeat of the Markey-Eshoo-Boucher-Inslee "Net Neutrality
Amendment" during consideration of the Telecommunications bill on the House floor Thursday night:

"When we began this struggle to prevent the telephone companies from imposing a new deep-pocket paradigm on the
Internet, few understood what was at stake.  We are making progress, and although we did not prevail tonight, we intend
to prevail in the end.

"The Internet community is now aroused, and as the telephone and cable companies continue to use their political clout
to turn the Internet from a democratic Field of Dreams to an exclusive set of Gated Communities, the looming danger to
the Internet is becoming more obvious to everyone. I will continue to fight for an open and non-discriminatory Internet
because the future of our country depends on it, literally, in that the jobs of tomorrow will depend on every inventor,
innovator and dreamer finding an on-ramp onto the Internet superhighway.

"Net Neutrality is as basic to the function of the Internet as non-discrimination is to the U.S. Constitution.  I thank
all those in the Internet community who helped raise this issue up to the point where it has become a flash point on a
telecommunications bill.  We will win because we must."

#          #          #

___________________

Israel S. Klein
Senior Communications Advisor
U.S. Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-MA)
israel.klein () mail house gov
o: (202) 225-2836
f: (202) 226-0092
c: (202) 812-8193

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net