funsec mailing list archives

National (american) free wireless

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:48:47 -0400

From: http://dailywireless.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5525

Morgan O'Brien, chairman of Cyren Call Communications has a plan to
create a new nationwide first responder network using the (public) 700
MHz frequencies that would otherwise be auctioned off in 2008.

The plan calls for a reallocation of 30 MHz in the upper 700 MHz band
of spectrum, which is half of the spectrum scheduled to be auctioned
in 2008 for commercial use. At 700 MHz, signals can travel 30 miles,
penetrate walls, and be sent and received without a direct line of
sight.

This network would connect all communities -- urban and rural -- in
the event of an emergency, and it would have a satellite component so
responders could stay in touch even if land-based systems failed.