funsec mailing list archives

Re: Things You Can't Say in Notepad

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:05:36 +1200

Drsolly wrote:

My Windows 98 Notepad doesn't have this problem

Win9x and NT Notepads are entirely different beasts, built from
different codebases from different authors (I've met the (original)
author of NT Notepad).  IIRC, the Win9x one is more or less a straight
port of the Win16 Notepad (i.e. grab old Win16 code, tweak as necessary
to get it to build clean with Win32 dev tools), whereas NT Notepad was
(mostly) written from scratch for NT.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Works as described on Win2K SP4 here...

_If_ you save a file that works from its "borked looking" state in
Notepad, you'll get a hint of what may be going on -- the file is
prepended with the 0xFF 0xFE Unicode marker.  My guess -- this
weirdness is due to some peculiar, non-standard attempt to detect non-
flagged Unicode encoding, or some unusual/non-standard form of Unicode
encoding.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald