funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Laptop Stolen From D.C. Home With Personal Data of 13, 000

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:26:05 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Drsolly [mailto:drsollyp () drsolly com]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 2:28 PM
To: Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)
Cc: fergdawg () netzero net; privacy () whitestar linuxbox org
Subject: RE: [privacy] Laptop Stolen From D.C. Home With Personal Data
of 13, 000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

 Sounds like you're not really a fan of the National ID cards.  I'm
not
either, for numerous reasons.

That's correct. When I'm asked to provide identification, I offer my
library card, which contains nothing except my name and signature, but
is
very nicely laminated. If pressed further, I offer a business card,
which
contains my name, occupation (programmer) and email address. I printed
them myself, of course. As a final last-ditch ID, I have a laminated
photo
of me with my name on it, it was my swipe card at Dr Solomon's, and
hasn't
worked for ten years. Since there's no National ID card, people tend to
accept one of the above, although it's been several years since I was
asked for ID (I don't get carded when buying beer, the slightly but
carefully greyed hair deals with that).

---> I give them my driver's license, most places that would ask for ID
won't accept anything other than a state issued ID or other "official ID
with a Picture and signature on it.  Same here about the getting carded,
the grey in the beard is a dead giveaway I'm old enough.  :-)

  One question...  What's a "nine Bob Note"?  Are you inferring that
the
ID cards will be easy to forge?

The point about a nine bob note, is that there's no such thing, although
there was a ten bob note. The expression is "queer as a nine bob note".
expect there's a similar expression in America, but I don't know it.

Since a nine bob note doesn't exist, no-one knows what it would look
like,
so it would be very easy to forge.

---> I kinda figured it was something like that.  The expression over
here is "queer as a three dollar bill"  Interesting how close the
expressions are :-)   I always found stuff like that mildly interesting
/ entertaining :-)

=