funsec mailing list archives

Re: 22 June 1633: Galileo Forced to Recant Heliocentric Theory

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:27:38 -0400 (EDT)

In modern terms, we consider Galileo's views on heliocentricity to be
no fundamental advance.

"We" do?  I don't.  I consider it a significant advance, largely
because it put the conceptual centre somewhere non-"here".  Just
because "we" now disagree with the place chosen doesn't make letting go
of "here = the centre" any less of an advance.

The Sun is no more the center of the universe than the Earth is
(indeed, the question has no meaning, as apparently all locations can
be equally regarded as the "center" of the universe).

Well, I'd say the question has meaning, just no answer. :-)  (And even
that only if our current cosmological theories are correct.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca