funsec mailing list archives

EMC buys RSA Security for $2.1b

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:51:01 -0400

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2006/06/emc_buys_bedfor.html

Hopkinton data-storage giant EMC Corp. agreed to purchase RSA Security Inc.
of Bedford for $2.1 billion, bolstering efforts by EMC and other
data-storage firms to reassure clients that their information is safe.

EMC and other storage firms are trying to address worries over the
insecurity of vast corporate and government databases, crammed with
sensitive data about millions of people.

"Increasingly, they're seeing customers say, we want more security and we
want it integrated into the products we're already purchasing from you,"
said Allen Kranz, an analyst at Technology Business Research, Inc. in
Hampton, N.H.

The acquisition will allow EMC to integrate RSA's data encryption software
into EMC's programs for managing large amounts of stored data. EMC already
makes software to let companies assign data to different storage systems,
depending on the importance of the data. With RSA, it could also automate
the security process. Key files could be automatically encrypted and stored
on more secure devices.