funsec mailing list archives

Re: Alley cat

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:17:18 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:

On 4/12/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Andrew wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
Going through some old 360 kb floppy disks, I came across Alley Cat, a PC
game vintage 1984, designed to run on a 4.77 mhz with CGA. I tried it out
on a modern Pentium 4 with VGA, and guess what, it worked! And it's still
a very good game.

Screen shots!

Uh - it's CGA. Most of the graphics take place in your head. The music is
done with the system beeper.

But it's still a good game!

I guess in that case you need to take a picture of the screen with an
old camera, scan that image in, and post it in. The truly pedantic
would have a student put in the Ones and Zeros by hand until it looked
like the image.

What was alley cat about? The only CGA game I played was the old Kings
Quest series.. most of my games were teletype :)

Well, you have a cat, and can move him and make him jump onto dustbins, a
fence and washing lines. You have to avoid the dog and the old boot, and
catch mice running along the washing lines. Then there's more levels, if
you did well at that. There's four difficulty levels, kitten, cat, alley
cat and I don't remember the other one. My kids used to love it, they were
5 or 6, and much better at it than I was.