funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oracle May Launch Its Own Version of Linux?

From: Kurt von dem Bussche <kurt () no-ip com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:34:22 -0700

Being a former Oracle employee I cant see how this will be any good.
They have a tendency to make products worse over time.

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 15:13 +0000, Fergie wrote:
Given Oracle's horrible security track record, I wonder if
anyone would actually use it?

Via Yahoo! News (Reuters).

[snip]

U.S. software maker Oracle Corp. is considering launching a version of the Linux operating system and has looked at
buying one of the two firms dominating the technology, the Financial Times newspaper reported on Monday.

The report, citing an interview with Oracle's chief executive officer Larry Ellison, said the move would redraw the
software landscape and open a new front in Oracle's long rivalry with U.S. rival Microsoft Corp.

It said Ellison told the newspaper that Oracle wanted to sell a full range of software that, like Microsoft, included
both operating system and applications.

[snip]

More:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060417/tc_nm/oracle_dc

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net