funsec mailing list archives

Re: infosec and human rights

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:11:33 GMT

...then you're probably not surprised that Reporters sans
Frontières reports this morning that Yahoo! is responsible
for yet a third jailing:

 http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=17180

- ferg

p.s. Aside: Personally, I think DRM is inherently evil.

-- Mark Carey-Smith <m.careysmith () student qut edu au> wrote:

Hi,

I've just started a PhD looking at how information security effects human rights. My interest was sparked by the issue
of the Chinese journalist Shi Tao, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for "providing state secrets to foreign
entities". His crime was to send an email message detailing a censorship order by the Chinese authorities from a
supposedly anonymous Yahoo! Hong Kong account. There are many other similar cases.

[remainder elided]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net