funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] AOL user behaviour

From: Mark Carey-Smith <m.careysmith () student qut edu au>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:38:34 +1000 (EST)

Hi all,

Reading a paper recently, some statistics are quoted from 2000 saying that 80% of AOL users 'never venture beyond thos
places at which AOL's...portal points'. Interesting statistics if they are true in the respect of the ability of AOL to
control what their quite large user base gets to see. Recent news reports have highlighted AOL's filtering of email to
their uses to censor out messages relating to the Dear AOL campaign but in this instance I'm more interested in their
ability to perform Internet censorship.

Does anyone know of any recent statistics of AOL's user behaviour?

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark Carey-Smith
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology

The ideals which have lighted my way,
and time after time given me new courage
to face life cheerfully, have been
kindness, beauty, and truth. The trite
subjects of life - possessions, outward
success, luxury - have always seemed