funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Digital Camera Fingerprints

From: "Justin Polazzo" <jpolazzo () thesportsauthority com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:40:01 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen John Smoogen [mailto:smooge () gmail com]

Well there are things that would need to be shown (degradation over
time, etc) but I wonder if this would cause a 'national' database of
cameras. EG before a digital camera is sold a couple of fingerprint
pictures have to be taken and stored for later usage.. scary for someone
documenting civil rights abuses, good for fighting people who do child
porn.

This reminds me of the issue of printer serial number hard coded into
all color printers that are embedded into every print job. The only
difference here is we are finding out about the technology before it is
implemented (or are we? ;-)

-JP