funsec mailing list archives

Re: University of South Carolina e-Mail CompromisesStude ntIDs

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:52:13 -0500

On 4/25/06, Blanchard_Michael () emc com <Blanchard_Michael () emc com> wrote:
I'm happy with training, firearm safety should be taught in the schools.  In
grammer school to be exact.  We teach our kids how to walk across the road
without getting hit by a car, we teach them how to use scissors, we teach
them how to hit a baseball with a bat, we teach them about strangers, we
teach them about bad drugs, about medicine, about alcohol....etc   We
absolutley SHOULD be teaching our kids firearm safety.  I'll bet that would
prevent more firearm accidents than any other single thing ever could come
close....
   Won't do a darned thing about gun crimes though, but will make our
children safer.
  The closest I've seen so far is "if you see a gun, stop! Don't touch it,
and get an adult".

That's the Eddie Eagle program - probably one of the best things to
ever come out of the NRA (besides Neal Knox of course). Massad Ayoob
(sp?) also had an excellent book for teaching kids - young kids even.

For mine it was pretty easy. You surround them with guns, let them
shoot, handle new pistols, etc.. They're de-mystified that way. Both
of mine have pretty much been within 5 feet of a loaded pistol their
entire lives - and not once have they even looked at it twice. They're
not even interested in guns these days, unfortunately. :(

At any rate, I had my daughter take the Eddie Eagle video to school
with her, kindergarten. I remember than one of her teachers remarked
that it might be possible we save a child's life that day - and the
truth is, it IS possible!