funsec mailing list archives

RE: Windows Vista Firewall: No Outbound Filtering By Default

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:42:14 -0400

...Microsoft has decided that the Windows Vista firewall will include no
outbound filtering by default. Apparently, Microsoft was considering
blocking outbound connections by default, but, in response to large
enterprise customer requests, they won't be doing that....

If it were just a matter of enterprise requests the answer would be simple:
turn on outbound filtering on Home and Media Center, not Pro (or whatever
the SKUs are called in Vista, I forget). But the article goes on to say, and
quotes Zone Labs as agreeing, that outbound filtering is a tough thing for
the average consumer to configure, and I have to agree. People who blithely
dismiss Microsoft's concern for security in cases like this really need to
make a constructive suggestion, not just snotty cracks like Skoudis does.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/larry%5Fseltzer/