funsec mailing list archives

RE: eWeek: Government-Funded Startup Blasts Rootkits

From: "Justin Polazzo" <jpolazzo () thesportsauthority com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:41:07 -0600

I just asked them about Vmware in my reply today. Hopefully we will hear
something back by Friday. You may be right in that a Vmware "infection"
would not be "malware" but just a normal operation.

It looks like they detect weird API calls, hooks into memory, subversion
of the windows kernel ;), etc. A VM OS would not be a subversion of the
kernel per say, just the addition of another. Although from a CPU EIP
point of view, I think the addition of another kernel would register in
just noise, if not heuristics monitoring. Either way, Good call.

I also asked them about directed attacks from the host in the form of
buffer overflows to their logging and analysis engines. I am sure they
have covered it, but one nightmare scenario would be if you could
compromise the PCI card, leaving the host intact, and still be able to
transmit the "everything's fine" signal to the admin workstation.

Even given the following from section 4.2 of the PDF:

"However, in standalone
mode, the EBSA can be configured to deny all configuration
reads and writes from the host processor, thereby
making its execution path immutable by an attacker on the
Host"

If there was a stack exception created by their monitoring software, the
instructions would be coming from the card, and not the host kernel.

Like you said, only time will tell.

-JP