funsec mailing list archives

Re: Power to the People

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:45:18 -0500

On 4/28/06, Justin Polazzo <jpolazzo () thesportsauthority com> wrote:

I remember there being a home networking plug in to your power sockets,
but I didn't think our power lines were clean enough for data. Would
this be a possible option for those without cable (in the future of
course)?

-JP

Are you referring to X10? If so, it works very well in lots of arenas
and data transmission isn't much of an issue as far as I know, for
what its generally used for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29

I worked at a power company about 10 years ago that had partnered with
Novell to develop new technologies along these lines, obviously, it
didn't get too far. If I recall correctly, many electric companies
utilize this type of technology to control their switches as well -
but I don't know any of the specifics there...only had a conversation
or two with an engineer from the local utility.