funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Finance Sector Weighs In on Net Neutrality

From: Kevin McAleavey <kevinmca () nsclean com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:11:35 -0400

 Heh. There's several issues at play with telcos here in "Los Estados Unidos" ("Mi Casa es su casa" says fearless
leader) ... they are what is called "regulated monopolies" and as such are entitled to a regulated "guaranteed rate of
return" and therefore not subject to the usual marketplace forces. Deregulation has been a miserable failure as well as
most other aspects of "free marketplace" have proven over the last 25 years ... wonder why petrol costs what it does?
Speculators on the U.S. Commodities exchange who, when they get a whiff of "instability" bid up the prices on "crude"
... nevermind that the shortages here are the result of a lack of refining capacity and NOT a shortage of crude ...
they stain their drawers every time Osama puts a videotape on Al Jazzy and bid the price up.

 Same deal with the telcos. They're back, hat in hand, before the regulators looking for some additional "rate of
return." REAL problem is that residential DSL is WAY below fair market value (called "dumping" in international trade
circles) and are now trying to make up the difference as folks use the "cheap oil" of below-cost DSL services to make
phone calls which was before their "cash cow." I've said before, I worked in a regulatory agency in telecoms as an
engineering type - my job was calling "bullsquirt" when the telcos said that a toll or number 5 switch could not be
expanded and that there was less than 24 64k muxes on a T-1 and such.

 To ANYONE with a clue (which kinda leaves US government out of the picture entirely) what they're attempting to do
here is a "cost reallocation" (there's an official word for this, but I've been out of the "rocks float by edict" world
for ten years now) by trying to move these costs from their landline telephone business onto their "below cost" DSL
services to the masses. Since DSL is now replacing "local plus long distance revenues" for their "nut," what would be
more economically valid is going to "full cost-based market rate" on DSL, but they're loathe to. And to further
complicate matters, the "regulated" part of their business is standard telephony which is now in decline.

 But there's the problem, it's all about them stockholders and trying to explain why the dividends are down and the
costs are up. Regulators on the other hand are perfectly willing to ensure that "rate of return." The alternative is
deregulation WITH OVERBUILDING so that you can sign up with any of multiple telcos with "FACILITIES-based competition."
That was the original plan of deregulation, but it never really happened. Same for the cable TV industry. You don't see
one company overbuilding another there either. And I don't want to hear "but I can get AT&T on my Bellsouth or another
telco if I want." Who owns the WIRES? That's what's regulated. The current argument is "telcos and cable companies and
satellite all compete and have practically overbuilt one another for goods and services." When I can get TV from
Verizon here where I live, or the cable company is willing to wire up the woods, I'll buy that. I get my TV from a
pizza pan and I'm on dialup. Bottom line, bend ove!
 r, here come the politicos and combined together, their IQ is below their hat size. All for sale!   :)