funsec mailing list archives

Update: Cyberattack Knocks Millions of Blogs Offline

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 01:14:38 GMT

This is kind of funny.... in a sick, twisted sort of way.

As a matter of course, I try to follow up on the previous blog
entries/stories that I've provided excerpts from the blog, with
any new information.

In this case, it is apparent that the popular trade press hasn't
figured out yet that the DoS that took down so many blogs is due
to Blue Security -- in a 'tit-for-tat' retaliation for their Blue
Frog thingy.

As stated in this post on the NANOG (North American Network
Operators Group) mailing list, the whole meltdown is due to the
fact that Blue Security's DNS entry for their web site actually
points to a Six Apart blog:

 http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg17230.html

Via C|net News.

[snip]

About 10 million LiveJournal and TypePad blogs were offline or barely reachable for several hours Tuesday as the result
of a massive denial-of-service attack.

The attack started around 4 p.m. PDT, targeting the popular blogging services and the corporate Web site of their
provider Six Apart, company vice president Anil Dash said in an interview Wednesday. Service was back to normal at
midnight, according to Six Apart's Web site.

[snip]

No mention of Blue Security in this article.

Here:
http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6068344.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net