funsec mailing list archives

Re: Big Boost in Zombie PCs Seen From Latest Windows Exploit

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:02:52 +1200

Fergie wrote:

Does anyone _else_ have any numbers to support this?

I doubt it.

The general feeling among CME "advisory board" members was that we
should issue a CME number for those bots because there would be media
interest and thus confusion because all the vendors had different
names, rather than because it was a significant, imminent or real,
threat.  As I recall, no-one was claiming to have seen vaguely
interesting levels of infection and that discussion started somewhat
after the first reports of these bots from the field...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald