funsec mailing list archives

RE: Overloading AV software, was Question about Viruses

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:34:08 -0400

But for the most part massimo is right, it's a dumb strategy

Hmm, what if the bad guys overloaded a user with virus warning messages as a
stratergy to get people to turn off their AV software.  For example, could a
Web page download a few hundred image files with known virus signatures
tacked on the end of each file in order to make AV software go nuts?  Could
the same trick be used in an HTML email message?

I already have an HTML application that is triggering false positives in
Symantec because Symantec thinks a bit of VBScript code I wrote is a
malicious code.

Richard M. Smith