funsec mailing list archives

Re: TippingPoint's 'Zero-Day Initiative' to Publish Unpatched Flaws

From: "ric k" <cygnus.0ff () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:27:41 +0530

i simply see this as a desperate attempt by TippingPoint to look like a sec
company. that's all nothing else. u can sell security products only when
people trust that u understand security/vulns and TippingPoint seems to be
'cleverly' outsourcing sec research to others :))

smart move, but this don't impress (atleast me) much. there must be so many
attacks on the wild, how much does it really matter if u block some Crystal
Reports/AOL 0day? lol

anyway this atleast pays some $$ to all those vuln researchers (who actually
disclose stuff to guys like TP and idefense!!!!), so u may actually take on
vuln research without working for some company and earn some $$ while at
home.

-cyg

On 8/29/06, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl> wrote:

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Josh Bressers wrote:

> What does this practice accomplish though?  As an outsider it seems that
> the goal here is to frighten people into purchasing your service lest
they
> be compromised.

Of course; that's what many companies do. The side effect is coercing
vendors into fixing problems faster, when bugged by a couple of reporters
too.

/mz