funsec mailing list archives

Re: Forensics Tech: Austrian Teen's Captor Used Old Computer, Complicates Investigation

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:36:02 +1300

David Lodge wrote:

They are extracting the urine aren't they?  ...

Probably not...

...  There are plenty of tools out
there on t'Interweb to make exact copies of C64 discs and tapes.

Yes, yes, we all know that, but Encase doesn't support it so it can't
be done...

Seriously though (yeah -- sad for Funsec, I know), depending on the
Austrian courts' position on handling, chain-of-custody, admissability,
etc of digital evidence, they may have problems if the accepted rules
are sufficiently constrained as to be limited to "contemporary"
technologies (such as PC- and Apple-, or Windows-, *nix-ish- and Mac
OS-, or IDE-specifics).  It's quite conceivable that this is the real
source of the problem, but too difficult/dull for the reporter to make
the focus of the story...

And, because this _is_ Funsec...

Even I once wrote a disc reader for the C64 many years ago...

...on an HP calculator using a homespun cross-compiler or you're a
wuss!

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald