funsec mailing list archives

Re: Load ActiveX Controls on Vista Without Administrator Privileges

From: "Jerry Hill" <malaclypse2 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:22:42 -0400

On 7/3/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
I agree with Bruce Schneier on this one -- this seems like a
really bad idea.

I'm not sure I see why.  Here's the original article that everyone
seems to be pointing back to:

That article says "a system administrator can go into a console and
define a list of Web sites and applications that are preapproved."  If
the ActiveX control isn't on the whitelist, Vista falls back to asking
for an administrator login to install a new ActiveX control.

So, what's the problem?  Is it just a distaste for ActiveX controls in general?

--
Jerry