funsec mailing list archives

SQL injection attacks against banks on the rise

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:41:54 -0400

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=4076

SQL injection attacks against banks on the rise
Posted on 19 July 2006.

 <http://www.secureworks.com/> SecureWorks announced that it has seen a
dramatic increase in the number of hacker attacks attempted against its
banking, credit union and utility clients in the past three months using SQL
Injection. "From January through March, we blocked anywhere from 100 to 200
SQL Injection attacks per day," said SecureWorks CTO Jon Ramsey. "As of
April, we have seen that number jump from 1,000 to 4,000 to 8,000 per day,"
said Ramsey.

"The majority of the attacks are coming from overseas," said Ramsey. "And
although we certainly see a higher volume with other types of attacks, what
makes the SQL Injection exploits so worrisome is that they are often
indicative of a targeted attack." This is a type of attack where the hacker
has targeted a particular organization, versus a worm which spreads
indiscriminately.