funsec mailing list archives

Re: Backdoor Software Being Developed to Regain Control of Hijacked Aircra ft

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:15:39 -0400 (EDT)

Recall that the important end of the equipment that does the
controlling _is on the plane_, as are the hijackers.

This is actually one of the easiest issues to address; all you need to
do is make sure that it cannot be reached other than from outside the
plane's skin without provoking major structural failure of the plane's
body.

That said, I think this is a stupid idea.

And would especially ruthless hijackers with, say, one of the new
"super-jumbo" A380 planes with 500+ hostages not simply start killing
hostages until the remote navigational override was turned off?
Whose government would actually NOT succumb to such a threat?

I actually suspect that King George's might not.  They'd likely spin it
as casualties in the War On Terror - unfortunate, but that's War.

If they *did* hold out, it would immensely strengthen their position
wrt a potential repeat.  The surest way to prevent blackmail is to
demonstrate that you refuse to be blackmailed.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca