funsec mailing list archives

Re: today in the news

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:26:22 +0100

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:21:29 +0100, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
"At the point we see it as a CERT, which is very early on -- the most
popular brands of antivirus on the market … have an 80 percent miss
rate. That is not a detection rate that is a miss rate.(")

To be honest I'm not totally surprised - after a spyware infection on my home PC (for which I was tempted to re-install Windows - yes, it was my own stupid fault I got infected). I spent around 3 hours cleaning this up. This was spyware that was undetected by *any* of the anti-spyware programs I tried (Spybot:S&D, ad-aware, hijackthis and a couple of others).

It was also very hard to get rid of (it hooked into the winlogon process - which you can't kill, in the end I had to bounce to a recovery console to kill it off)!

Grumble, grumble... bloody spyware...

dave