funsec mailing list archives

Coming really soon now: Wireless USB devices and new security headaches

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:53:57 -0400

Here is another wireless technology that is going to create security
challenges for corporations and government organizations.  Just think,
battery powered USB disk drives that don't even need to be physically
attached to a system.

I want a wireless USB drive resident in my cellphone that automatically
sync's files between my home and office computer systems without me having
to do any work.  However I don't want the drive to auto-connect to other
people's computers.......

Richard

  _____

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060726VL205.html

Jeff Ravencraft, Intel's technology strategist who also heads the USB-IF as
its chairman and president, cited market research company In-Stat as saying
that the Certified Wireless USB market will grow from 400,000 units this
year to 11 million devices in 2007. Then, according to Ravencraft, the
market is expected to further increase and reach 48.2 million units in 2008,
143.2 million units in 2009 and 289.1 million units in 2010. Next year, the
forecast could look even more optimistic, if the upcoming Windows Vista
operating system (OS), which is expected to be released to customers in the
first half of 2007, includes drivers for Certified Wireless USB. However,
although Microsoft backs efforts of Intel and other companies that promote
Certified Wireless USB, the technology will not be natively supported by the
new OS, Ravencraft said.