funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Red Cross Laptop with Donor Information Stolen

From: Peter Kosinar <goober () nuf ksp sk>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 02:31:25 +0200 (CEST)

Do you still have to declare the loss of the data even if it was
encrypted ?

Yes.

Or rather -- yes, that would be preferred, methinks.

- ferg

Agreed.

First, without knowing anything about the "encryption" used, one cannot
make any assumptions about the actual "security" (secrecy in particular)
of the data. After all, a shift cipher (a variation on the Caesar theme)
is a form of encryption, just a bit unsafe for data of substantial size
[*]

Second, if I encrypt a critical file on my machine and then leave the
decryption key lying right in the same directory, does it still classify
as encryption? Yes, it does... yet the provided security is next-to-none.

Third, the "encryption" itself might be secure, yet it might be used in
insecure fashion -- like, leaving temporary copies lying all around the
disk. Moreover, it happens more often than not that a determined
individual (attacker / forensic analyst) can find -very- interesting
pieces of information in the unused portions of the filesystem.

So, the answer should be "YES, OF COURSE!"; and if it is not, something is
definitely wrong... and it'll only get worse.

Peter

[*] Well, it IS absolutely secure for data one character long :-)

--
[Name] Peter Kosinar   [Quote] 2B | ~2B = exp(i*PI)   [ICQ] 134813278