funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Medical firms sue to access Rx information

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:07:29 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

On 8/2/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

Awesome Idea New Hampshire!  We should make it national, but we know
that will never happen as the Rx drug companies have so much $$$$$ tied
up in politics it makes me sick and in need of one of those Rx drugs....

  Heck, while we're at it, lets take Campaign funds and use those $$$ to
subsidies Gasoline prices.  How much did Kerry (the loosing presidential
candidate) spend on his campaign?  Multi-Millions I'm sure....  I'll be
that would knock at least a quarter off of the cost of a gallon of
gas...

That's the opposite of what you should want. You need to raise the price
of gasoline to three times the current level, at least.

So then people will stop driving due to the prohibitive costs?

1) it isn't prohibitive - it's what most people pay today

2) People will drive a little bit less, because of the cost

3) People will move to alternatives to gasoline, such as diesel, LPG or
hybrid. Demand for fuel-efficient cars will be much greater; gas-guzzlers
will become unpopular

4) The overall effect on demand, will be to reduce it somewhat. Maybe 10
or 20%, maybe more.

5) This will also capture part of the economic surplus of oil which is
currently going into the pockets of the oil producers, and put it into
Uncle Sam's pocket. A nice side benefit, will be the reduction of funding
for terrorism and extremism.