funsec mailing list archives

RE: Lieberman Campaign Says Web Site Hacked

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:34:14 -0400

The NY Times has the story also and the Lieberman folks are saying it is a
big deal because the campaign has lost access to email:

http://tinyurl.com/qfz2w

The Web site's malfunction disabled campaign e-mail accounts and hampered
communications among field offices and with tens of thousands of supporters,
Mr. Lieberman's advisers said. They said high traffic and connections to the
campaign Web server overwhelmed its allocated bandwidth, the advisers said.
They could not say how great the bandwidth was.

Dan Geary, the Internet consultant to the Lieberman campaign, said that the
site, Joe2006.com, began coming under attack on Monday morning.

"Midmorning yesterday, a very rapid, instant number of server queries to the
site - not just traffic to the site - completely disabled our network,'' he
said. "It's like trying to drink from a fire hose.''

Richard