funsec mailing list archives

Re: My daughter, the pineapple terrorist

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:09:30 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Richard M. Smith wrote:

This story of the kids buying bulk cellphones from Walmart just reminded me
of my daughter's trip to Hawaii a few summers ago.  She worked at a farm
stand in Hawaii that purchased their pineapples in bulk for $1 a piece at
the local Costco.  They resold them for $5 a pop to the tourists.

And that kind of "terrorism" is rampant in the hotel industry, to the
point it is heralded in recent IBM ads (at least on CNN International
or BBC World in the ASPAC region), which starts:

   There's a lot of margin selling a $2 bag of cashew nuts for $8...

When I was 9 and 10, I discovered that, at my school, there was a price
differential on marbles between the two playgrounds in the school.  And I
invented arbitrage; I bought from the cheaper playground at a higher price
than anyone else was offering, and I sold in the dearer playground at a
lower price than anyone else. The profits of this, fuelled my sherbert
habit.  The powers-that-be never found out, othersise I guess they'd have
made up a law to stop this free enterprise.