funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cheap cellphones.

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:42:04 +1200

Drsolly to Dennis Henderson:

Actually you are supposed to pay customs on things that you buy from foreign
countries, so while the sale is legal, you're probably violating the law by
not reporting it and paying the tariff.

The small fry largely go unnoticed, but that doesnt mean that its legal.

There's an amount below which you don't have to report it, isn't there? I
know there is when I walk through customs. I don't remember the amount.

That varies from country to country.  Many (most?) extend the "personal
exemption" total for returning resident travellers to cover informal
importing, such as purchasing from offshore mail-order, "internet
shops" and so on.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald