funsec mailing list archives

Blue Boxing Comes to VoIP

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:08:33 GMT

Definately fun. :-)

Kevin Poulsen writes over on 27B Stroke 6:

[snip]

In a delightful bit of retro engineering, veteran phone hacker Mark
"Phiber Optik" Abene has written a module for the Asterisk open source
telephone switch that replaces its fancy schmancy digital signaling
with good old fashioned in-band MF.

Mark demonstrated the Project MF module at the HOPE hacker's conference
in New York last month. He says he built a 1980s-style blue box the day
before the conference, then took the stage and made a call to his
Asterisk machine, blew the trunk with a blast of 2600 hz -- from a
Cap'n Crunch whistle, no less -- and boxed a new call with the sweet,
sonorous tones of multi-frequency signaling.

"The crowd went wild," Mark says in an e-mail. "I'm trying to encourage
more people to set up their own 'switches' that we can all blue box off
of."

Oooh. I'm getting all tingly.

[snip]

More here: