funsec mailing list archives

Re: Terrorism charges dropped in Ohio cell phone case

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:02:29 +0100 (BST)

Prosecutors in Ohio dropped terrorism charges Monday against two
20-year-old Dearborn men who were arrested last week after buying hundreds
of cell phones.

Washington County Prosecutor James Schneider said that there was not
enough evidence to prosecute Osama Abulhassan and Ali Houssaiky. But
Schneider said his office will continue to prosecute them on a misdemeanor
charge of lying to police.

It would be interesting to know what this lie was.

The men will most likely be released Tuesday after a court hearing, and
will face a court date probably next month, Schneider said.

The misdemeanor charge “has nothing to do with terrorism,’’ he said.

But the investigation into the men, and possible ties to suspicious
activity, will continue, he said. Police in Ohio are working with local,
state, and federal law enforcement officials in Ohio and Michigan on the
case.

There has been concern that the men may have planned to target airplanes,
he said.

Hmm, intent to sell mobile phones to air travellers. Surely there's crime
there?

But family members said that the men were targeted because of their
background – both are the children of Muslim immigrants from Lebanon.

In a statement, the Washington County Prosecutor’s office said:

“The State is currently in possession of sufficient evidence in support of
probable cause on the felony charges, however, more information is needed
to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” read part of it.

Couldn't they be charged with "Possession of a beard and turban"? Or at
least "Having a suspicious sounding name"?

It looks like this case was exactly what I said it was. A couple of
enterprising kids, contravening Walmart's "Three per customer" rule, in
order to buy cheaply something they could sell at a profit.

By the way, I've decided against buying that GPS thingy on Ebay, because
I've changed what I'm buying. I've decided that a GPS-enabled PDA would be
much better than a dedicated GPS device; cheaper, and more functional for
what I want to do, as well as giving me a whole bunch of extra
functionality as a PDA does.