funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. DoJ: Reporters May be Prosecuted for Leaks

From: "Thomas C. Greene" <dcvulture () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:25:35 -0400

On Saturday 10 June 2006 2:03 pm, Florian Weimer wrote:
What is "illegal"?  What is ethical?  Is paying your sources alright?
Good leaks are worth a couple of kEURs over here.

It's a crime to entice someone to commit a crime.  Plain and simple.  As far
as ethics goes, so long as what you do is legal, it's a judgment call;
different publications have different standards.  I personally would never
pay for information, but this has nothing to do with ethics: it's bad from a
journalistic PoV.  As a journo, you're just asking to get punked.  Everyone
tries to use the press to work their own agenda.  Everything is a press
release in one form or another.  They're either trying to help themselves, or
hurt an adversary.  So paying people to make a fool of you is pretty stupid.
A sincere whistleblower who wants to release information in the public
interest will always give it to you.

Of course, it leaked, and Cicero decided to publish very detailed
information from the report, in a way that maximized embarrassment to the
BKA and the German intelligence services.  Maybe even sources have been
put in danger.

I don't approve of publishing anything that could endanger lives. But one
might reasonably publish the info if it's already become public.

Even if the Cicero incident is isolated, the reaction in the press
shows that few journalists would exercise the restraint you demand.

The Feds failed to safeguard sensitive information. That's news.  So long as
the damage was already done and the info had become public, I would defend
the paper's decision. But if the info was theirs alone, and would not have
come out otherwise, I would not defend them.  It would not have been
necessary to publish so much detail.

Often, governments use 'national security' as a smokescreen to conceal
corruption and stupidity.  It's important that the press not allow itself to
be intimidated by government appeals to 'national security' when the only
real issue at stake is the government's embarrassment.  However, when there
are real issues of national security involved, the press has an obligation to
edit its news to get the nut of the story out to the public, without
compromising operations, sources, methods, etc.

This attitude is the "we're first-class citizens, and you are not"
attitude I find so disgusting.

I don't know about German law, but in the USA, freedom of the press is a
fundamental pillar of liberty, plainly spelled out in the Bill of Rights. The
Constitution trumps all other laws, so we're stuck with it.

Now, there are rights, called concomitant rights, which are presumed in order
to exercise an enumerated right.  In other words, the government cannot
legally restrict the public in ways that would diminish an enumerated right.
But this is exactly what they try to do in order to restrict the press.  They
say, you're "free" all right, but you can't print this, or you can't use that
source or this method; we can force you to testify about your sources, turn
over your notes, and so on.

This is complete rubbish.  The enumerated press right is the right to publish;
the concomitant rights, that give reality to the enumerated right, are rights
such as publishing classified information, protecting sources and methods,
granting anonymity, denying the government access to our notes and work
products, and so on.  You can't have one without the other.

So yes, the press does have rights and liberties that the general public don't
enjoy.  You may find it personally galling that we've been granted these
rights, but that's the law.  Laws that restrict press rights exist,
certainly, but they are invalid because the Constitution trumps them.

Don't just take my word for it; the US Supreme Court decided it:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=403&invol=713

t.