funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Federal Judge Orders End to Wiretap Program

From: Dave Dittrich <dittrich () u washington edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:57:40 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:21:04 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:

If elected officials are breaking the law. and the only backlash is
"stop doing that", I dont think the govt officials will fear the law.
I think it would be nice to put the fear of law back into "our"
elected officials :-)

You'd think that worrying about being branded "law-breakers" at the next
election campaign would be sufficient motivation....

Um, the executive branch is not up for election next cycle.  Its only
the House of Representatives and 1/3 of the Senate, iirc.  Next
vote on the executive branch is 2+ years away (which is almost
exactly 2+ years past the average voters' memory.)

Now I guess a change of House control could result in a good old
fashioned impeachment...

--
Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich () u washington edu              The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5