funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Strange Comments from MS come out at a UN Meeting

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:02:17 -0500

There is the old argument about MS, Yahoo, and Cisco helping China to
arrest dissidents and further repress its people, but a very
interesting comment from MS is what caught my attention:

from: http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10420-us-internet-firms-accused-of-collusion-with-china.html
or http://tinyurl.com/vsb46

Fighting terrorism

Tipson said that Microsoft is debating the point at which it would be
unacceptable to continue doing business in China. But he pointed to a
growing list of countries that want to sift through private
communications in the interests of fighting terrorism.

"We have to have a point when we decide that things look so bad, that
censorship, or persecution of bloggers, or monitoring of email has
reached a point when it's simply unacceptable to continue to do
business there," he said. "We try to define those levels, and the
trends are not good at the moment, and not just in China."