funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Oops: California E-Voting Machine Allows Multiple Votes

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:41:03 GMT

This is exactly why I have already sent in my ballot via
absentee balloting.

Yikes.

Via CBS5.com.

[snip]

Voting machines sold to 21 different counties in California could allow
people to vote more than once, state election officials warn in a
notice to counties.

The notice went out on Monday, just eight days before the election. It
tells election officials to keep a close eye on voting machines sold by
Oakland-based Sequoia Voting Systems because a yellow button on the
back of each machine can be pushed and potentially allow someone to
vote more than once.

Sequoia sold the machines to 21 counties in the state, including
Alameda, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz.

The yellow button is only supposed to be pushed if the machine needs to
be reset. But, someone could reach or walk behind the machine, push it,
and vote again.

[snip]

More:
http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_306015536.html