funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. OMB: 'People are Losing Data'

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 15:31:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Fergie wrote:
And in other news, scientists say the sky is blue. :-)

I wonder what the real colour of the sky is. I am sure it is not blue!

That depends what you mean by that question. What is a "real colour"?

But you can do the following experiment that shgows you how come the sky
is blue.

Get a glass box (like an aquarium, for example), and blow some smoke into
it (you might burn some paper and blow the smoke into theglass box. Then
put a lid on it, to keep it in place.

Then shine a torch through the box. You'll see that the beam coming out
the far end is reddish, and the smoke looks blueish. That's because the
small particles of solid suspended in the air (the smoke), scatters blue
light more strongly than red, because the red has a longer wavelength. The
blue light, scattered in all directions by the smoke particles, is what
makes the smoke look blue. And the blue sky is for the same reason.

So, next time you kid asks you "why is the sky blue", you can show her the
reason.

And if you took the suspended particles out of the air, then there
wouldn't be any scattering, and it would be black.

The other big question is, why is the sky black (as can be seen at night,
when there's no scattering effect). Hint - this is
called Olber's paradox.