funsec mailing list archives

What's up with Slashdot and Outlook

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:21:05 -0500

Hi,

Does anyone on the list have a theory of why copying text from a Slashdot
Web page and pasting it into an new HTML email message in Outlook 2003 is
very slow?  I just timed a simple paste operation from Slashdot and it took
35 seconds for Outlook to do the operation.  Something doesn't seem right.

Here is the test I'm running:

   1.  Start Outlook and open up a new HTML email
       message.

   2.  Start IE and go to slashdot.org

   3.  Select the word "Posted" in the first Slashdot message
       and copy it to the clipboard

   4.  Paste the word into the HTML email message

   5.  Wait for 35 seconds as Outlook "thinks".

Thanks,
Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com

P.S.  I don't see the problem on any other Web site.