funsec mailing list archives

24 ways to lose your domain Fast

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:44:11 -0500

I have been following this and feeling really sorry for the customers:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/09/fast24_domain_recovery_advice_2/

Letters Fast24, the broadband ISP and domain registrar missing in
inaction, has created headaches for many users of its domain services.
Yesterday Reg reader Jim Howes recounted how he regained control of
his domains. Today, more readers weigh in with their advice.

   I recently went through a similar process when my old domain-name
provider - JumpDomain - became completely unresposnsive for tech
support requests. The base problem and reason for my switch was that
email routed through the domain was delayed ont JumpDomain's servers
for two full days.

   Fortunately I could simplify the process by using the still-active
tools to unlock the domain and then initiate a domain transfer request
to 1and1. It all went smoothly, and in fact 1and1's service has proven
more responsive and capable that what I had before. Still, it's a pain
in the rump to have to do this kind of thing.

   Del

   I too had to do this, but of course mine (that is, my furious
customers') were .com domains.

   This involved contacting Bulk Register (who have recently been
taken over by eNom) and paying $50 to become a domain reseller, then
effectively gaining control of the domains via the reseller control
panel.

   It did require a call to the States 001-877-841-6827 but once the
situation was explained (and $50 taken...) they were very accomodating
(especially as the domains in question had expired due to Fast24 never
answering my increasinly frantic emails and calls over a period of 3
months). So, there you go. It costs $50 but its worth it!

   Boo! Down with Fast24! Bad ISP! Bad!

   Adam

   Just read the Fast24 article that mentions BulkRegister being
difficult to contact. BulkRegister has recently been taken over by
eNom - who generally speaking do respond the same day, so it may be
worthwhile for the stranded customers to contact eNom.

   Thanks,

   Karl Austin KDA Web Services Ltd.

   I'm also trying to recover a (now expired) .com domain - the
people I have been directed to are dotregisrar.com who are indeed
proving helpful. Richard

   The process of moving your domain name from Fast24 and domain
buster if you have a .com domain is not quite as painful as your
article suggests. Bulkregister is based in Canada and so for most of
the day when you call them they will not of even started the day.

   We called them much later in the day, I think it was early evening
and got through to one of their technical guys who went and actioned
the changes while we where on the phone to them. As they are the tag
holder in this instance you simply need to move the domain records
onto someone elses DNS servers which is faster than moving tags.

   Cheers Paul C. Hartley

   Primogen Solutions Ltd