funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Police Use Stun Gun on Student for Not Showing ID at UCLALibrary

From: "Rob Thompson" <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:55:13 -0800

On 11/16/06, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
I guess he should have showed his ID.

I have a funny feeling that if I were the one sitting there, that I
would have been left alone.  Looking at his name kind of gives me a
bad feeling in my stomach that that had a lot to do with what
happened.

If the guy was just reading his book and not causing a ruckus (sp?) in
the first place they should have just left him alone.  If he was doing
something wrong and they asked him, well then shock away...

What I would like to know is:

Was he the first student that night that they asked for ID?  And was
he doing anything suspicious that caused him to be asked?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/larry%5Fseltzer/