funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] DNA samples in Cape slaying to be returned

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:43:18 -0500

Hi,

The DNA round-up in Truro actually never made much sense.  I wonder now if
it was some kind of ruse.  Perhaps the plan all along was for the cops to
look more carefully at people who refused to provide a DNA sample.

The problem with the round-up is the state lab which processes DNA samples
in Massachusetts is overloaded and has a long backup of samples to be
process.  It didn't have the capacity to handle the Truro samples.

The crime was solved by DNA, but not from the round-up.  The cops initially
focused on everyone who had been around the victim's house before the murder
took place.  McCowen, who was recently convicted of the murder, was one of
the people interviewed in this beginning phase of the investigation.  He
agreed to give a DNA sample at that time in early 2002.  However, it took
the cops 1 1/2 years to collect the sample and another 1 1/2 years to have
it analyzed.

Had the cops acted in a timely manner, a lot of the craziness surrounding
this high profile case would have been prevented.

Richard M. Smith

  _____

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/11/22/dna_samples_in_cape_sla
ying_to_be_returned?mode=PF

DNA samples in Cape slaying to be returned

November 22, 2006

Last year, 120 people in Truro voluntarily gave local authorities swabs of
their saliva.

Now, the district attorney says they can have them back.

From January to March 2005, authorities set up stations throughout Truro to
collect DNA samples, in an effort to find a suspect in the 2002 rape and
murder of 46-year-old fashion writer Christa Worthington . But the envelopes
containing the cotton swabs were never opened. That April, authorities found
a match in a previous collection of 45 DNA samples. Last week, a jury
convicted trash collector Christopher M. McCowen in the killing, after his
DNA matched samples at the crime scene.

Authorities no longer need the other DNA samples, so they are offering to
return them to those who want assurances police won't have their DNA for
perpetuity. The swabs from those who do not request samples back by Dec. 20
will be incinerated , officials said.

"We want to follow through with what we indicated that we would do -- that
is, return the samples that are unrelated to the case," said Cape and
Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe . "We're very grateful that so
many people so readily cooperated."

The unopened DNA is being kept in an evidence locker, O'Keefe said.

DAVID ABEL
<http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_
end_icon.gif>