funsec mailing list archives

Re: DoD Report to Detail Dangers of Foreign Software

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:33:00 -0600

On 11/27/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

This sounds kind of hostile -- while I'm sure there is some small
threat, I'm not so sure about the paranoid nature or insistence of
this "report"...

Vis ComputerWorld.

[snip]

A U.S. Department of Defense task force early next year plans to warn the
Pentagon of a growing threat to national security from adversaries who
could insert malicious code in software developed overseas.

The Defense Science Board, a military/civilian think tank within the DOD,
will issue a report that calls for a variety of prevention and detection
measures but stops short of recommending that all software procured by the
military be written in the U.S., said the head of the task force that has
been studying the so-called foreign influence issue.

Its happened before..

Certainly it could happen again. Probably already has..