funsec mailing list archives

Houston, we have a problem

From: "Randall M" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:49:56 -0600

New York Times:
Spam Doubles, Finding New Ways to Deliver Itself

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/technology/06spam.html?_r=1&ref=technology
&oref=slogin

Folks, the place I work for deals a lot with "graphic" files. There is no
way we can stop this onslaught of "image-spam".
The only thing that I have noticed that is common is the "story lines"
associated with it. That is almost all of them have
ridicules, nonsense stories. Someone might know how this is produced
randomly. Maybe this is needed, maybe not.
Maybe this is a key to fighting it.

Today, I received 15 of these. Even received one from "BusinessWomen"! My
front-end to the network has a Netscreen25 Firewall, Barracuda Spam
Eliminator, McAfee Gateway, and finally a mail gateway server with GFI mail
security software on it.

My current spam to legit email ratio is 9-10. That is just down right crazy.
9 out of 10 is spam. This cost the company money. When will this become a
cost factor added in to sales?

Are you going to tell me that NO ONE knows where this crap is coming from?
No ISP or registrar knows? Or that NO one can stop this?
I think F-Secure was right on when they ran the piece "Dear Domain
Registrars" .
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-122006.html#00001041 .

Thank You
Randall M

“You too can have your very own Computer!”

Note: Side effects include:
Blue screens; interrupt violation;
illegal operations; remote code
exploitations; virus and malware infestations;
and other unknown vulnerabilities.