funsec mailing list archives

Re: Censorship by the BBC?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:12:10 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:58:06 GMT, Drsolly said:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:

* Drsolly:

The purpose of the different "regions" on DVD, is to stop people buying a

DVD where it's cheapest, and get them to buy the higher-priced (but
identical) version instead. People who buy the cheaper version and import

it, are called "Grey-marketers", an epithet that sounds like they're doing
something naughty, which they aren't.

Importing copyrighted material into the EU for business purposes is
illegal unless you've got permission from the copyright owner. 8-(
Copyright law usually allows for geographic restrictions on
distribution, for precisely the reason you mentioned.

I hadn't known that

I'm pretty sure that the US laws say something similar - it's what they
use to bust people who import counterfeit CD/handbags/etc...

Counterfeiting is a completely different crime. I'm talking about, you buy
a genuine original CD or DVD in the USA, and take it back home to England.