funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft blames Vista insecurity on thirdparty applications

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:37:05 -0800

Larry Seltzer wrote:
How did you get the executable? That's the point Allchin is making.

It's a useless point.  Well, in defense to the Sophos thing, what else
are they going to say?  Backwards compatibility is a bitch?

The point is, don't going throwing around the term "immune", that's not
what it means.  I don't need Windows users thinking they are immune.

As Nick pointed out, there are other potential vectors for this malware,
open shares and stuff like that.

Malware finds a way.  I realized this when a honeypot I had set up had
ended up with a BIOS-erasing file infector on an open share.  A virus
that never should have been able to make it between hosts.  It had
attached itself to a copy of Nimda.

                                        Ryan