funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Security: Your Online Banking Account is Blocked

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:59:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, David Lodge wrote:

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:43:40 -0000, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
Anyone tricked?

What language is this anyway?!

A while back I went through a period of correcting phishers and 419ers
spelling and grammar and then sending it back with a mark out of 10. None
of the them ever got more than around 5... Then I got bored with it.

It's one of the words of advice I give to people as a sanity check for
whether something is a scam: look at the quality of the English; if they
use bad English or American English (when a UK company) then it's
generally a scam and should be consigned to /dev/null. As most UK
companies subscribe to the plain English campaign and pay people to
quadruple check every message that goes out.

Of course, when the scammers get somebody with a better knowledge of
English this detection tactic will not work anymore :-)

I have a better rule you can tell people.

Anything sent to you by email is a scam.

If you see something that you think isn't a scam, that you need to
follow up on, phone up the company and talk with them.