funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:32:26 -0800

Date sent:              Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:50:03 -0500
From:                   Ron <iago () valhallalegends com>

From a cursory check on Google, it seemed to me that USB devices won't
autorun on Windows, but I'm not convinced that it can't happen.

Eh?  From my recollection, it wasn't that long ago that someone was testing it out
and finding out how far you could take autorun.  As of at least mid-year last year, I
know that WinXP defaulted to autorun on USB sticks: I don't know if that has
been reset in any of the recent patches.  How far you could take that with MP3
players is open to experiment.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
                 All reports are in.  Life is now officially unfair.
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm