funsec mailing list archives

Re: eEye Sets Out to Build Lagest Honeypot Network

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:36:43 -0400

On 10/16/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:50:52 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:
> Re: [funsec] eEye Sets Out to Build Lagest Honeypot Network
>
> What, bigger than *.comcast.com?

Honeypots are sinks.  comcast.com is a source. :)

If Comcast tried to make a honeynet, they'd have to call it Stasi, after
the East German secret police.  At one point, some 20% of the population
were paid informants, presumably often reporting on each other....

And what percentage of home dsl and cable modem users are bots,
zombies, drones, or just plain compromised? Even worse they could be
compromised drone zombies participating in a botnet!

Seriously though, I bet one of you guys would have a good link to some
accurate numbers. If someone would point me in the right direction I
would be willing to gather some stats.

Anyone have a list of suspect machines by ASN? Google got me nowhere.

-JP