funsec mailing list archives

Re: 1 in 3 workers write down passwords

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:45:47 -0400

On 10/17/06, Ron <iago () valhallalegends com> wrote:

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
> One in three workers jot down passwords: study

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-10-17T205533Z_01_N17230049_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-PASSWORDS.xml&WTmodLoc=TechNewsHome_C1_%5bFeed%5d-9

Hmm, I generally tout myself as a security guy, but I have to admit,
even I do that sometimes.

Generally, when I'm given a password for a remote system that is
something like "7QbbBr2CqqS", I'll write the password, all by itself, on
a yellow sticky note and stick it to my monitor for a week or two, until
I feel like I've memorized it well enough to toss (fine, eat) the note.

I think one of the major issues is: stupid passwords.  I've spent time
at places that have completely asinine password policies (must be 8
characters or longer, letters and numbers and at least 2 symbols, no
spaces, no 2 characters within every 4 characters can be the same, etc.
etc. etc.).  Worse yet, the users are GIVEN a password that looks like
somebody sat on a keyboard, and is expected to memorize it.

I think that we really have to make a request of password-based software:
- - Allow spaces
- - No maximum length
- - Encourage a pass phrase

You are right, AS400 has a ways to go before they get to the level of
MS where password complexity is concerned:-)

-JP

-JP